Friday, March 12, 2010

Do I only want the best for my adult daughter that just doesn't agree with me all the time?

This is where I am going


This is who I am


I thought about it for a while


I have to tell you what I cam





I am a part of the Lord thy God


I helped to make your life


I am a part of the Lord thy God


I think you are too and that's life





We formed your body bones and soul


Split apart from all of the whole


Cut and pasted to a material you


Just to make some of all of it do





Now as a part of the invisible you


I recognize we disagree do different too


I was formed to think like me


You were formed the way you are see?





Now you don't have to listen to me


I have to tell you


It's aweful sometimes if I think I am right


But you have your own life to live too


I wonder sometimes if we make it through the night





Now it is possible that I was formed to eat


Things you find repulsive, not a treat


Things I got used to and feel make me quiver


Things I think make me healthy, even my liver





You might not be one who will take to this life of mine


You might have your own way of finding out how to shine


I have lived so far to fifty five


I keep thinking these things kept me alive





I wonder if there is a terrible curse


That forces you to keep seeking a nurse


I wonder what told you to ignore what advice I find important


I wonder if I lost you when you moved out and went





You grew up so fast, I wanted that to last


I didn't want to have to dwell on the past


Was I ever one to follow my way?


I was a parent, I been meaning to say.





We were all formed from dust and heat


But circumstances about how we would meet


Were written in stone, just appearing to us


Even if they didn't seem so just





I have my pinions, you have yours


You seem sometimes convinced, sometimes so unsures


We don't want to disagree not this way


Or do we, what do I say?





I can't give you advice if it was predetermined


My passions are stuck, neath the secretly ruined


Just cause I want you to be a certain way


Just cause I use tact that includes when I pray





Well it all makes me realize, can't criticize Jesus too much


He too had the same problem, was out of touch


I have to trust that I did what I could


And you have to do what we said you should





Cause in the beginning you apparently agreed


When you were older you would succeed


Payin attention to that which was done


Havin your moments, havin your fun





Nothin I could do or say


Would make you want to do what I had to say


And that's why whatever you do


If you choose to take a break or just let it too





You have your life to live shorter or long


You have your way of silence or song


I have to let you be who you are


Even if all I ever wanted was for you be a star





Whatever you choose now, it's up to you


You wear your slippers, I wear my shoe


If you ever want my help to try something new


I will be waitin, I'm your father.....that's true!

Do I only want the best for my adult daughter that just doesn't agree with me all the time?
Well, my mother is visiting from about 1000 miles away right now. It's our first visit in 6 months. I am 38, have two beautiful small children and a third on the way. I have a great marriage; my husband has a great job; I have a degree and had a career for about 14 years as an educator before staying home with my children.





My mother has a lot of great advice, and I'm sure means well and wants the best for me. I have to tell you though, that even though the advice is usually good, I get really tired of hearing it. Maybe because it is constant, or maybe because she repeats herself over and over again, even when I heard it the first time. She's not generally critical; yet, what I'd really prefer is that I'd get less advice and more recognition for where I have come in my life. I know she thinks I'm doing well, as she does say so. But that is way outweighed by the constant advice and suggestions. With all that she tells me whenever I talk to her, I don't know how she thinks I managed to survive on my own for all these years. What I'd really like is to feel like a competent adult around her and for her to stop trying to improve me.





So there's the story from the other side. I hope this helps in some way.
Reply:Parts of it don't scan right.



office chair

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive