Sunday, March 14, 2010

Having trouble with focusing/concentrating/paying attention?

For as long as I can remember, I've ALWAYS had attention span problems. In class, it's just about impossible for me to pay attention to what the teacher's saying for more than thirty seconds (literally). It seems that everytime I try, something distracts me (something as simple as a pen, desk, pair of shoes, etc.) and sends me daydreaming. Even when I chose a front and center seat and concentrate as hard as possible, I end up spacing out.





Also, whenever I'm reading a text book, I'll often forget what I'm reading. As in, I'll read a paragraph to myself, then at then end, I sit there with this blank stare and can't comprehend what I've read. It's like a foreign language that I can pronounce, but can't understand the meaning of the words. Every now and again I'll even have problems with simple sentences, and I have to read them over and over again before finally understanding what it's saying. I have a short attention span with homework, too. If someone's in the room with me, I can't help myself but stop ever five minutes and converse with them about whatever pops into my head.





I've always been a pretty smart kid, though, and I've managed to maintain mostly A's throughout the years even without paying attention in class and reading slowly with textbook materials, tests, etc. But I just started high school, and I'm afraid that I'm going to need to be able to focus myself better. Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Having trouble with focusing/concentrating/paying attention?
I had a similar experience. I was an A+ student until I got to university... this is when I started to have many problems. My experience was that since I was such a good student earlier on, it was very difficult to get tested for attention deficit disorder. You may or may not have the same difficulty.





There are a few good books out there you might want to read. These will help you develop coping/studying strategies you can apply on your own. One is You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Kelly and Ramundo. I liked this book a lot.





I also figured out my learning style. I'm an audio, hands-on learner, as opposed to a visual learner. Reading does not really help me (I do my readings, but don't rely on them for my learning). Instead I develop other study strategies like study groups, making cue cards, drawing diagrams, etc.. to help me study. The great thing about study groups is that some people learn by talking (me) and other people learn by listening, so it's a win-win situation!





I currently take meds for ADD, but I've also developed an extensive 'collection' of coping skills that work for me.
Reply:Attention Deficit Disorder. I have it and your symptoms are pretty much the same. See a Dr and I would advise seeing a psychologist first. There are 17 diagnostic points for ADD . a good shrink will save you time and money and you won't need a bunch of therapy, just a few visits.





As a smart person in spite of your problems, just think what you can do with your brain once you get help. It can be treated. ADD is different in girls. We are not as hyperactive as guys so teachers don't notice it as much.





Oh Please do something about this and soon. Your life will get SO Better ! Good Luck Frost



accessories belts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive